Whew!! TGIF, amiright? The first week of school is always a beast, even if it was only three days long, haha! Sharing a few random thoughts today after a successful week back to school.
- The kids had an awesome first day of school. They met their sweet teachers on Tuesday night, and any apprehension was washed away and just replaced with excitement! Scott and I walked them into their classes on Wednesday, and each of them went in, no problem, while ole mama just tried to keep it together in the hallway! They were so brave and so eager to get their new school year started, and all I want to do is hold onto them, take them back home, freeze time, and keep them little forever! But, instead, Scott and I headed home, and we both got to work in an extremely quiet house. I felt better after a while, but, just as I expected, I was thrilled to see them that afternoon. They kept fighting over each other, trying to tell me about their days, their new friends, how much they love their teachers, and all the wonderful details. I am so, so very thankful that these kids love to learn and have a beautiful school full of amazing teachers to teach them! On to next week!
- All three kids have also been playing fall ball this year! It’s Ben’s second season of baseball/t-ball, and both Grayson and Brantley’s first season playing softball. And everyone is having a blast!! Ben has already vastly improved over last season, and loves running and chasing after the ball, no matter where it is on the field! Brantley is a natural, and though this is her first season, she totally loves it and loves to practice throwing and hitting in the yard and in the batting cages (or batting caves, as Ben says, haha!) before practice. And Gracie is already improving from her first practice, running more confidently and moving to get after the ball in the field. Most of the girls on her team have never played before, so they are all learning together which is a great thing! She’s one of two lefties on the team and improving her batting and throwing skills everyday. And let me just tell you, if you want your kids to go to bed easily during the first week of school, just make sure they have ball practice that week! There is a great playground at the fields so that if one of the kids has practice, the other two play on the playground for an hour. And we have had ZERO issues getting them to go to bed on time this week, because they have been WORN. OUT!
- We have two beagles, Kenny and Dolly (as in Rogers and Parton :)). Dolly is sweet and never makes a fuss or causes any problems, but KENNY– he is a handful. His favorite new trick is getting out of the fence in our backyard. We have barricaded, blocked off, and done everything we can to prevent him from creeping out, but we think he is digging up underneath the fence and shimmying his little way out, that stinker! The funny part about it though, is that after he’s done gallivanting around the neighborhood, he comes right up to the front door, and scratches at it for us to let him back in! So he’s not interested in running away, he just needs his freedom, I suppose! Crazy dog.
- I have washed about two loads of dishes all week versus the two loads PER DAY I was washing when the kids were home this summer! They were eating us out of house and home with meals and about a thousand snacks in between!
- Scott and I finished watching Ozark on Netflix (SO GOOD!!!), and also watched Goliath on Amazon Prime TV in about 3 days. Another SUPER good show with Billy Bob Thornton. I usually don’t like him so much, but he really is a good actor and the show is awesome. Only one season, so it’s totally do-able in a weekend binge session!
- Since Ben is in Pre-K and eating lunch at school this year, I have 15 (yes FIFTEEN!) lunches to pack each week! What I did all last year, and what I’m doing again this year, is to make them all at one time and store them in the fridge all week. Last year, I made them all on Monday morning, but this year I think I’m going to make them all on Sunday afternoon/evening instead. I use these awesome little Sistema containers and put a half a sandwich on one side, and fruit (usually grapes and/or cherries) on the other side. That’s really all I assemble ahead of time, but we have stackable rubbermaid drawers in the pantry that hold all our snacks- mini bags of chips, cheese crackers, animal crackers, granola bars, etc. So each morning, I grab the pre-made sandwich and fruit from the fridge, have the kids grab two snacks from the pantry, have them fill up their water bottles, and we put everything in their lunchboxes. Oh my gosh, it beats the pants off trying to make three lunches every morning, and they actually love helping. Win-win!
- One of my friends posted this on Facebook the other day, and I thought it was a good reminder. We need to be praying for our kids teachers! They are moms, wives, fathers, husbands, PEOPLE too, and they will be teaching and taking care of our kids from now through May. They need as many prayers as they can get!
- We have kept dinners pretty simple this week (and still mostly vegan!), knowing it would be crazy with school and practice schedules. We made Trader Joe’s black bean burgers on Wednesday night, and they were DELICIOUS. Except Gracie, who was less than impressed, and told me, “Mommy, I like the other ones [black bean burgers] you made better, but that’s okay, you tried your best!” Hahaha!! And last night I grilled up some veggies on our grill pan- portobello muchrooms, zucchini, onions, and asparagus, and made grilled veggie fajitas. I smeared some refried black beans on the middle of a tortilla, loaded the vegetables, then topped them with homemade salsa and guacamole, and a little bit of shredded vegan cheese (not the greatest- a lot like fat-free regular cheese- but it’ll do). They were SO GOOD and I am so pumped because I am eating the leftovers for lunch today!
That’s about all I’ve got for today. We actually don’t have any practice or any plans set for tonight (can I get an AMEN!), so the only thing I can count on for tonight is that there will be wine involved! Cheers to the first week of school, cheers to Friday, and have an awesome weekend!!