I mean, other than Christmas, is there a busier time of year than the last few weeks of the school year?! I have just not had enough hours in the day to get everything done, hence the fewer posts this week. But with 1/3 of the crew finished with school (and only next week to go!), we ought to be back to it next week!
But TODAY…is my birthday! I am 35 today, and I do feel a little bit older. I feel like there are far more people younger than me than ever before, but I find myself less concerned what people think of me. I also feel that kindness and empathy are more important than ever, and I try to avoid judging people. I am trying to love the people closest to me as much as I can, and I am going to make a better effort in letting those people know how much they mean to me. Though I am still not where I want to be in several different ways, I am more confident than I was even a year ago! I am comfortable with myself and am definitely a work in progress, but I don’t second guess myself nearly as much as I used to. 35 is not nearly as scary as it sounded 10 years ago, and I am fully embracing the knowledge and experience that aging brings. So watch out 35, I’m ready for you!
I have kept a notebook for quite some time now of favorite quotes, scriptures, sayings, etc. I love keeping a book of inspirational words to keep me on track as I navigate challenging (and ordinary!) days. I’m sharing 35 in honor of my 35th birthday today. Let me know your favorites! And what you would want to add to the list…
1. There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed. But in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child, you’re super mom. -Stephanie Precourt
2. Storms make trees take deeper roots. -Dolly Parton
3. Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together. -Elizabeth Taylor
4. You can do anything, but you can’t do everything. -David Allen
5. People who love to eat are the best people. -Julia Child
6. The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still. Exodus 14:14
7. If you bungle raising your children, I don’t think whatever else you do well matters very much. -Jackie Kennedy
8. Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. -Pablo Picasso
9. But as for you, be strong and do not give up. For your work will be rewarded. 2 Chronicles 15:7
10. When people show you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou
11. You have to laugh at yourself. Or you’d cry your eyes out if you didn’t. -Emily Saliers
12. The most effective way of doing something is to just do it. -Amelia Earhardt
13. You educate a man, you educate a man. You educate a woman, you educate a generation. -Brigham Young
14. It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely set back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to the things. -Leonardo DaVinci
15. A rising tide lifts all boats. -JFK
16. Life is tough, darling, but so are you. -Stephanie Bennett Henry
17. So do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
18. Clutter and mess show us that life is being lived. Perfectionism is a mean, frozen form of idealism, while messes are the artist’s true friend. What people somehow forget to mention when we were children was that we need to make messes in order to find out who we are and why we are here. -Anne Lamott
19. A strong marriage rarely has two strong people at the same time. It is a husband and wife who take turns at being strong for each other in the moment when the other feels weak. -Ashley Willis
20. Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing nobody is going to know whether you did it or not. -Oprah Winfrey
21. Even after all this time, the sun never says to the Earth, “you owe me.” Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. -Hafiz
22. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because it’s fake.
23. God doesn’t give explanations. He gives promises.
24. Pearls are always appropriate. -Jackie Kennedy
25. It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.
26. Pick your battles. You don’t have to show up to every argument you’re invited to.
27. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13
28. Everything in moderation. Including moderation. -Oscar Wilde
29. We impress people through our strengths, but we connect with people through our weaknesses.
30. If you don’t pass your values onto your kids, someone else will. -Frank Sonnenberg
31. Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the Godly to slip and fall. -Psalm 55:22
32. A perfectly kept house id the sign of a misspent life. -Mary Randolph Carter
33. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for today will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34
34. Sometimes the most extraordinary thing is to have an ordinary day. -Marie Bennett
35. You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.
So Happy Friday! For my birthday I am actually heading out on a special beach trip just me and my mom!! We are headed to Hilton Head literally as soon as I hit publish on this post, for a fun girls beach weekend. Just us! I can hardly wait, and follow along on Instagram (@amanda_goatandlulu) to see our fun trip! Plenty of overgramming, I’m sure, haha! Then upon my return on Sunday, Scott and the kids have a little secret party planned for me, so I get to continue the celebration all weekend long! Hooray for birthdays!
Have a great weekend and cheers to 35!