I have to be honest…we are BIG time TV people (if you’ve read this blog for long enough, you know this already :)). When I was up sewing every night a few years ago, I used to watched Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, as I sewed. Even now, I love watching Netflix and Scott and I DVR tons of shows to watch after the kids go to bed. There is a bunch of junk on TV, but there are SO MANY GOOD SHOWS TOO!
Since we have had a BUNCH of time off for Christmas break, we have watched some good TV and good movies. So here are a few things you might want to check out that we watched and give our two thumbs up:
- Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath- I know very little about Scientology (other than I thought it was a little weird), but WHOA!! This show is unbelievable. What the “Church” of Scientology subjects it’s members and those who leave the “church” to is horrible. It’s more or less a cult that tears families apart. The series is a MUST see!!
- Sully- AWESOME movie! It tells the tale of “the Miracle on the Hudson” when Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger landed his US Airlines plane in the Hudson River in January of 2009. It’s such an amazing story (that *might* make you want to steer clear of the airport for a while) that reinforces the fact that Sully is a straight up HERO for saving the lives of 155 passengers and crew members!
- Woman in Gold- Such a moving and true story of a Jewish woman that escaped Nazi-occupied Austria during World War 2, but not before all the art was stolen from her family’s home by the Nazi’s. The movie stars Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds, and tells how they fought to get the treasures back, and one in particular, The Woman in Gold, a portrait of the woman’s beloved aunt. Is really is an amazing movie, and the story is one that ought to be told over and over again for us never to forget. The part showing how Mirren’s character escaped occupied Austria is especially tense, but shows just the amount of courage and bravery she possessed! Two thumbs up.
- Twilight Zone Marathon on SyFy- I am a HUGE Twilight Zone nerd and watch the New Years marathon every year on SyFy! I saw my first Twilight Zone episodes in elementary school, and have been hooked ever since. Some are a little hokey (they were filmed in the 50s and 60s), some are really thought-provoking, and some truly haunt my dreams and scare me to death! If you miss the marathon, you can watch them on Netflix. My favorite episodes- “Eye of the Beholder,” “Time Enough at Last,” “The Shelter,” and the one that literally gives me nightmares- “Twenty-Two.”
And even if you go back to work or your kids go back to school this week (or you are as lucky as us and still have one more week off!!!!!), this is the perfect time of year to binge watch some good tv before the regularly scheduled shows come back on the air. I have watched A LOT of great TV series and have some great suggestions for you if you’re looking for something to binge watch in the upcoming weeks!
- Shameless- Like a carwreck, you can’t help but watch! The characters are flawed but great, and you will fall in love with them.
- Game of Thrones- Totally not my typical genre, but it’s addicting and SO GOOD.
- Homeland- I have been a huge fan from Day 1, and the next season is about to begin!
- The Affair- I typically do not like shows that glorify adultery or divorce, etc., but this show certainly doesn’t glorify it. It shows how much choices and actions can affect marriages, families, and everyone around you. Great show.
- The Crown- I’m a total Anglophile anyway, but I found this SO fascinating and I was immediately sucked in.
- Downton Abbey- Same as above, haha! You’d think that it’s typical stuffy, boring British Masterpiece Theater, but it’s a wonderful show. I cried watching the last episode I was so sad it wouldn’t come on anymore!
- Black Mirror- The modern and more techy version of The Twilight Zone. Really makes you stop and think about your own life and how tech-obsessed we are and the effect on our lives.
- Stranger Things- The hit of the summer, and I was just as obsessed as everyone else!
- The Tudors- More historical drama, both of which appeal to me. Another one I was sad was over!
- Peaky Blinders- OMG!!! Only 3 seasons, I think?? And not very many episodes per season. Totally do-able in a weekend.
- Sons of Anarchy- Who’d have thought one of my all-time favorite shows would be about a criminal motorcycle gang??
- House of Cards- Once you watch it, you’ll never look at Washington politics the same.
- Breaking Bad- You have no good reason to have not watched this by now. One of the best shows ever! Go queue it up now!
- Mad Men- The fashion, the workplace, Don Draper… a must watch series!
- The Fall- If you watch this dark series, you’ll understand why I just can’t agree with Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey in 50 Shades of Grey…he is much more convincing as a serial killer.
- Friday Night Lights- I cried when this one was over too. Full Hearts, Can’t Lose.
- Orange is the New Black- Such a strong female cast!
- One Mississippi- A dark, funny show about Tig Novaro’s real life experiences after surviving cancer and her mother’s death.
- The Killing- Another dark drama (I have a think for dark shows, I guess?) set in the Pacific Northwest. LOVED how the series ended.
- Narcos- The story of Pablo Escobar and the DEA’s role in his downfall. I really knew nothing about this bit of history, and it was so interesting!
- Californication- David Duchovny is extremely believable as a womanizing author and father.
- Mr. Robot- I guess I also have a thing for techy shows! I was sucked into Mr. Robot and loved the twists in Season 1.
- Parenthood- One of mine and Scott’s all-time favorite family dramas. UGLY CRIED pretty much every episode of the last season (Have a feeling the new This is Us will be the same way)!
- True Blood- Never thought vampires were my thing. I was wrong.
- Bloodline- Super dark family drama. I *gasped out loud* at the end of the second season. SO. GOOD.
- The Walking Dead- You have six and a half seasons to catch up on before the rest of season 7 debuts later this month. WATCH IT!
So what have I missed??!! Not much, right, haha!! But I am always willing to stay up too late and watch some Netflix in bed. What are your favorites??